Clark Nexsen is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or protected veteran status. AAP. Drug-free workplace. E-verify. Applicants must be legally authorized to work for Clark Nexsen, Inc.
Must apply online through corporate website.
Firm Description: Clark Nexsen is a national architecture and engineering firm focused on creating innovative design solutions for U.S. and global clients. We are passionate about our work and are prominently ranked on numerous industry lists. Building Design + Construction ranks Clark Nexsen as a Top 20 architecture and engineering firm and we have been named to the Architect 50 list of top U.S. firms for the past four years. Our culture supports the pursuit of excellence to engage and inspire the best professionals. Our firm is headquartered in Virginia Beach, Virginia, with 450 employees in office locations in Virginia, North Carolina, Georgia, and Texas. We offer outstanding compensation, benefits, and growth opportunities in a positive work environment. We believe we can create a better world through our work. Giving back is also a guiding philosophy. As a company and as individuals, we proudly volunteer and give back to the surrounding communities where we live and work. Generous benefits: Health, Dental, 401k, Short and Long term Disability, Vacation/Sick leave, Aflac, Flexible benefits, and Legal Resources benefits are available.
Job Description: We seek to hire a Certified Interior Designer to work in our Virginia Beach, VA office will be responsible for performing multiple aspects of interior design services on multi-discipline building design projects of moderate to large scope for commercial and government facilities. General responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Performing all aspects of interior design services including conceptual studies, programming, schematic documents, design development documents, and construction documents under the supervision of the Senior Certified Interior Designer
- Working on a multi-discipline design team
- Meeting with clients to prepare and validate scope of work
- Preparation of marketing and presentation materials as directed
- Obtain guidance from Senior Certified Interior Designer and the Department Director as necessary to resolve technical and coordination issues and conflicting criteria
- Direct and supervise the work of support staff assigned to the project, particularly where unusual or difficult problems are encountered
- Performing interior design services associated with the bidding process, including preparing addenda and amendments and opening and tabulating bids as directed
- Performing interior design services associated with the construction phase, including field visits, answering RFIs, reviewing shop drawings, and preparing record drawings
- Complying with the company’s quality control practices and procedures
- Working with, responding to, and taking direction from Managing Principals, Project Managers, Design Managers, Operations Directors and senior management
- Working with a multi-discipline team of architects, engineers, interior designers and landscape architects
- Participate in team meetings and coordinating efforts with other team members
- Directing, supervising and training junior interior design staff as directed
- Mentoring and monitoring the professional development of junior interior design staff
Project responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Perform Senior Certified Interior Designer tasks as directed
- Responsible for document organization and clarity
- Responsible for discipline drawing coordination
- Drafting of marked-up plans, partial plans, sections, details
- Completing sections and details produced to a schematic-level of completion by the Senior Certified Interior Designer
- Creating schematic-level plans and details for projects of moderate to high complexity
- Provide accurate 3-D modeling of building elements with the necessary level of detail using the required Building Information Modeling (BIM) software package, when BIM is a project requirement.
- Assist in development of interior design fee proposals
- Assist in development of interior design and details
- Prepare and maintain all back-up documentation for QC’s
- Prepare finish boards/binder layout and production
- Create and update project design notebook
- Assist in conceptual designs, selection of finishes and FF&E
- Prepare discipline specifications for review by the Senior Certified Interior Designer
- Oversee assembly of submittal documentation
- Coordinate drawings with technical specifications
- Coordinate work product with other disciplines
- Respond to QC/Gray Team review comments
- Incorporate responses to QC and Gray Team comments into the project documents
- Assist in responding to RFI’s, review comments, etc.
- Review and respond to CA submittals with direction from Senior Designer
- Perform discipline QA review on assigned projects
- Adhere to project budget and schedule
Education · Bachelor of Science or Arts in Interior Design from a 4-year CIDA accredited program OR · Bachelor’s degree plus a two-year CIDA-accredited Master’s degree in Interior Design
Licenses, Certifications, and Accreditations
- Must hold NCIDQ certification
- Active involvement is professional organizations such as ASID or IIDA is preferred
- Understanding of sustainable design principles and design practices with LEED AP accreditation preferred
- Additional certifications such as CDT, CCS, or CCCA are encouraged to reflect personal growth in the profession and an ever increasing knowledge base to enhance the design and documentation process
- A Certified Interior Designer should be able to effectively utilize current company software programs for word, e-mail, accounting, and information management.
- Working familiarity with design and production software to a point of being able to utilize the software in the development of project documents and interact with other project team members in their use of the software is highly desirable.
- A Certified Interior Designer should typically have 4 or more years of significant design experience as an Interior Designer in an architectural firm or a multi-discipline Architectural & Engineering firm.
- Experience in federal, state, municipal, healthcare, commercial, higher education or similar projects plus experience in Design/Build and CM at Risk project delivery methods is desirable.
- Ability to prepare effective and concise documents
- Possess technical precision and creative design skills
- Ability to make presentations to a variety of groups
- Have a client-oriented attitude with a desire to provide outstanding professional services
- Be dedicated to his or her professional development as well as the success of colleagues and the firm as a whole
Selection will be based on your application, resume, and portfolio. In order to be considered, you will need to submit a portfolio with your application according to the following parameters:
· Single file in PDF format
· Maximum File Size:10 MB
· No page limits, provided that the file size restrictions are met
· Portfolios must be submitted electronically. We will NOT accept or consider hard copy portfolios.